Thursday, March 12, 2009

My 18 months old son

My son is almost 18 months old. Time just flies. He is just adorable at this age. I’ve kept reminding my wife that we should spending more time to enjoy being with our son this year. When he grows older, he will be different. Cos, our son is really different day by day.

He picks up words quickly, after telling him 2 or 3 times, he can repeat after ourselves, and he does that sometimes without our special attention. He is just like a sponge of knowledge. That’s why one of my friends told me the other day that we should keep him from watching TV as long as we can, not even commercials. That’s very true. To these days, I still don’t know where did he pick up the term ‘Television’? When we said that term, he would point to our LCD in the living room. Honest to God, none of us intentionally taught him that word. Since he likes to watch TV, we just don’t turn that on unless we want to watch news shows. Also, we would mention the term ‘TV’, rather than ‘Television’, so he won’t know what we are talking about.

The other day when we were talking to the teacher in our son’s playgroup, she was very surprise when we told her that our son can not only recognize but also repeat almost all alphabets. Well, so far, he can almost say it out loud almost all of them, except D, E and Z. He is also a bit confused of E and F, and keeps saying the E is F. Certainly, his tongue and vocal structure is still developing, he still lacking in making certain sounds, like S and X, he still hasn’t been able to say them correctly. For 1 to 10, his ‘8’ is the accurate one, but the rest are fine that at least I can tell he pronounces them differently. Anyway, I’m very happy with what he can do so far.

Certainly, developments of different aspects proceed differently. He is learning how to use his mini-toilet bowl. That takes time. Also, he is still not very good with telling the difference in color. I don’t think he is color-blind. I think it has something to do with the fact that there are so many colors and he just got them mix up. Also, he can’t walk down stairs yet. Anyway, just playing with him and watching him make my day!

No comments: