Thursday, August 14, 2008

'Knowing' vs 'Learning'


Some people say questions and answers are like locks and keys. Have one without the other is kinda useless. Certainly, answers are very valuable, cos you can always derive question from an answer. Anyway, that's not what I'm wanna talk about. I think it is a good habit to ask questions. Cos, that's the key process of learning. I think I've not ask enough questions recently.
There are many ways to learn new things. Learning is something that I enjoy very much. At this stage of life, I'm not in school, other than something that I've to learn - things at work. Other types of learning requires self-motivation and discipline. I do have to struggle to make myself really learn something. To me knowing things is also something that I enjoy very much. In this days, I can easily doing that via internet. Just go to news sites daily or read some blogs, I will learn about what's going on in the world at my finger tips. However, that kind of 'learning' is more like 'knowing', it is very superficial, just scretching the surface. I will know like Russian has military conflict with Georgian for some territorial dispute....however, do I know the historical background of it? What would be the impact to the region and to the world? etc. That's something that I can dig into if I have the motivation and time to do so. But, I'm just too greedy! Not to spend more time to dig into it, but move on to next news, and then next...just know things, but not really learn things.
I think that it is probably because I don't question myself enough. I need to drive my curiosity about things. Then I can dig deeper in things. Certainly, time is limited. I can do five easy things or do one hard things. It is my choice and no one else. That's why I saw example of people with PhD. of something who is retarded in term of something simple like boiling vegetables. There is only so much one can do.
Sometimes, I enjoy being (just thinking of myself) a person who know many things, but sometimes I do feel like I don't know enough of anything. I don't know if others have the same issue as mine. But, it sometimes bother me a bit. There are so many things that I would like to learn, but just not able to do so currently. That's a regret that I have all the time.

No comments: