Friday, June 29, 2007

Just a Thought about Teaching kid

Since my wife became pregnant, I’ve thoughts crossed my mind every now and then about what I will be facing in future, especially about how to teach my kid. I think it is quite a new experience for me to look at same thing from the point of view of an adult and from that of a kid. The thought that crossed my mind today is about the issue of ‘time’.

For a kid, when I looked back when I was one, I looked at things in hours, days, weeks, or perhaps months, definitely not years. Cos, as a kid, I didn’t have many years to look ‘back’. On the contrary, there were supposed to be years ahead with unknowns. For example, when I was in second grade, all I know that I will ascend to third grade after September. After next September, I will ascend to fifth grade and so on. Not much thought or plan were put in what I was going do next years. So, as a kid, what I really cared was ‘now’. That’s why when my dad scolded me for not being ‘patient’ in something, I really didn’t understand what he was talking about. Cos, I wanted that to happen right the way. For me, why should I wait? I couldn’t stand the feeling of waiting for whatever that takes time. Patience is just a vocabulary to me.

Now, of course, after so many years, I began to understand and accept that things take time and the effect of which depends on its duration. So, I’ve been thinking….how should I teach my kid about the concept of time? How old should I teach him about that? The second question is probably in kindergarten I guess, but how I can teach is gonna be tricky? Should I begin by telling him about stories of history? Should I begin with Chinese history? World civilization history? Human history? Or the Earth’s history? If I teach him history, then it may touch the subject of geography because he may ask where the places that I will mention are and he will ask a lot of ‘why’ things happen. Then, I will have to teach him the concept of Karma – the cause and effect theorem which is kind of philosophy! Teach a kid about philosophy! That’s kinda nut!.... So, come to think of it, maybe I should simply begin to teach him how to read the clock and then buy him a watch….

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello There. I found your blog usіng msn.
This іs an extremely ωеll written
artіcle. I ωill be surе to bοokmark it
аnd come back tо rеad mοre of your
uѕeful іnformаtion. Thanks for the pοst.
I'll certainly comeback. pure green coffee Bean extract au - green coffee ultra - green coffee bean extract au

my web-site; Pure Green Coffee Bean Extract Au