Friday, September 18, 2009

Self-reliance

Although we are living in a society with numerous interaction with and dependency on other people for many things, I still believe that certain extent of independence and self-reliance is extremely important. I don’t agree or accept everything that my dad taught me when I was a kid. However, there are few things that I do believe dearly as I found them to be really true. Being able to stand on my own as a man is one of them.

He always taught me and my sisters that learning is important. When you learn something, regardless how small or tedious that it might seem at the time, someday you may find that to be useful. You may not know when will you ever do the thing that you have learnt. However, when it comes, you will be thankful for your learning. He also taught us that there is a different in doing a thing and learning that thing. Namely, you don’t necessary have to do what you learn, it may not become your responsibility just because you know how to do it. However, when there is a need to do it, and the worse case is that nobody around can help, then you will be able to do it. We are not striving to be the savior or hero to save the innocents or incapable folks, just able to do something when it is needed would make us feel good. Also, people who will be benefited from our action would most likely appreciate our good deed.

I think what my dad’s lesson is really true. I will certainly pass that to my son. I don’t have any doubt that he will understand what the lesson means. However, whether he will believe it and really take that on would be his choice.

No comments: