Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Portishead


Portishead, is the name of town in Bristol Britain. It is a also the name of a band which was the pioneer of a new music genre called Trip-hop back in the mid 1990s. I was first introduced to this band when their second album ‘Portishead’ was released in 1997. My ex-coworker Nelson who was also very into music back then swap my ‘Homogenic’CD from Bjork. I didn’t pay too much attention during my first listening, but I remember vividly during a long rainy evening while I was looking for parking spots cruising around in Harvard Square. My mood of loneliness mixed with Portishead’s music, it affected me deeply. Since then, I listen to that album wholeheartedly and bought the CD my own.

Then, I began to search more about the group, just like what I did with all the music that I like. I found from other people’s comment that their debut album, ‘Dummy’ was even better than their second one. Dummy won the highest music prize of UK, the Mercury award, in 1994. I instantly bought that CD and just can’t put that down. The music is so unique and the group’s vocal – Beth Gibbon’s voice is just so sad but mesmerizing that it made me dive into the Trip-hop genre for almost the next few years. Certainly, there are so very good Trip-hop groups out there, like Massive Attack, Morcheeba, Goldfrapp and others. But, Portishead has always a special place in my heart.

Fast forward to this year, it has been TEN years since they release anything new. Just a hunch to check Amazon, and surprisingly found out that their third album ‘Third’ is gonna be release in April this year. Oh…MY….GOD….That’s amazing! I know I’m gonna buy that CD though what I did most these days are downloading. I just have to get the CD to show some support to them, though I doubt that they will know or they need it. I’ll just buy that CD, rip it and listen to that in my ipod. I’m so excited about it, hopefully they won’t disappoint me.

1 comment:

Brett said...

Great news, i'm a big fan. Got a video of them on my blog at the moment doing glory box live.