Monday, July 9, 2007

Die Hard 4.0 and Computer Animation Movies

Cora and I went to see Die Hard 4.0 (aka Live Free or Die Hard in the U.S.). I was kinda surprise that Cora like this movie more than I had expected. Originally, I was planning to go alone and she would go to salon to have a haircut, but we decided to go together as we planned our schedule for the weekend.

The movie was good, I think it is intense and entertaining. Bruce Willis delivers this time. Though, I like to see him to have someone that can counterweight his presence in the movie like in the last one with Sam Jackson. The cyberwhiz kid Justin Long is alright, Maggie Q’s role is too one dimensional, the villain, I forgot his name is kinda weak. The action is pretty good. I would say that Die Hard is one of favorite movie francise, even the one deemed by many as the worst – the Die Hard 2, I still like it somehow. I think the Die Hard formula will never die, cos it is really about one man face the evil and overcome barriers for the sake of saving others. This theme is as old as human history go, that’s why this kind of movie works and I like most of them, though the background/actors are different, like Stallone’s Cliffhanger, the First Blood, Arnold’s Predator, Keanu Reeves’ Speed, etc.

As Cora’s belly is getting larger and larger, I doubt we will go to see any more movies in the coming times, except the rat animation from Pixar that I promise to take her. In case we can go, I will buy the DVD when it comes out anyway, cos I collect all Pixar movies. Even if I see it, I will still buy it. I like Pixar’s movies, besides the animation is great, I think most of them have great stories, kinda like modern folklore that adults and kids can enjoy. So far, my top favorite is still Toy Story 2, and then it is probably Finding Nemo and The Incredibles. The weakest one is Cars. I own Ice Age and Ice Age 2: The meltdown. Very disappointed to both, except the silent character which chase the nut. Other than that, it’s kinda a waste of money. I also own Shrek and Shrek 2, I like them both, but I’m not sure about Shrek 3, cos I think it is really weak and there is almost no story to it, perhaps it was directed by a Hong Kong guy who input so much Hong Kong type humor in it. It was funny, but it lacks of depth, the theme was so shallow that it is not very well develop and compelling. If it puts more time to develop the character of Arthur, and its bonding with Shrek, then it should be better. Also, the Prince Charming and the villains are too stupid, simply annoying. In the last few years, there are getting more and more computer generated animation movies available, I’ve not seen all of them, cos as the volume increase so does the fluctuation of their quality, particularly in their script. As I got the Madagascar, I’m kinda lost the interest in most animation with ‘a group of animals from a zoo, or from a backyard, or from a swamp’. Cos, I think they are so overdone, not creative enough.
Anyway, I hope I will continue to enjoy these CG animation years to come, and I’m sure I will see these movies over and over again with my kid in future.

No comments: